Founded in 1947, the Virginia Water Environment Association is a non-profit, technical and educational organization focused on producing quality programs for continuing education and training for our members, the technical community and the general public. VWEA is a member association of the Water Environment Federation (WEF) and collaborates with many other industry organizations, such as WEF and the Virginia Section of the American Water Works Association.
The Virginia Water Environment Association will preserve and enhance Virginia’s water environment, now and for future generations.
With our vision in mind, VWEA’s Board of Directors and staff, along with committee leaders, members and sponsors work together on several guiding principles:
- Share & exchange water quality information and expertise among members, industry professionals, and the public
- Deliver high quality educational services and products to water quality professionals and colleagues
- Promote & advance the water quality industry through effective communication strategies
- Support the application of sound science
- Advance the knowledge and understanding of Virginia’s water environment
For additional information, please click on any of the links below.
Our Association was formed as the Virginia Industrial Waste and Sewage Works Association in March, 1947. The name was changed to Virginian Water Pollution Control Association in 1961, and changed to Virginia Water Environment Association in 1992. Our parent organization, the Water Environment Federation (formerly Water Pollution Control Federation) was formed in 1928. Prior to our 1947 organization, few Virginians were connected either directly with the Federation or the American Water Works Association.
VWEA members include civil and environmental engineers, biologists, chemists, local and state government officials, treatment plant managers and operators, laboratory technicians, students, professors, environmental scientists, equipment manufacturers and distributors. Check out our membership brochure.